Friday 31 January 2014

A visit to memory lanes of my childhood...

It was summer vacations and Delhi was acquiring this brand new western culture of ‘Summer Vacation Workshops in Schools of Delhi’. So, under this new adopted culture, NDMC also provided teachers/art professionals to hold Dance and Art & Craft workshops (Painting and Clay modelling) in all NDMC schools across Delhi and all the children were invited to attend these summer vacation classes irrespective of their schools.
http://www.discoveredindia.com/andhra-pradesh/culture-in-andhra-pradesh/dance-in-andhra-pradesh/
Dance of Andhra Pradesh
 When my parents heard about it, they also enrolled my name under ‘Indian classical dance classes’ and my twin siblings’ names under ‘Art and Craft classes’. I still remember my first dance class, I was just eight or nine, when I first met this beautiful young lady (my dance teacher). She was sitting along the stage of the school auditorium and was wearing a fine Andhra silk red and black coloured Sari.

That was the time, when I was introduced to Kuchipudi - Classical Dance of Andhra Pradesh. Before that, I was just familiar with a few names of other classical dance forms in India, such as Bharatanatyam and Kathak. Even today, these two dance forms are well known as well as the most popular classical dances of India.


My first dance class was all about the origin of Kuchipudi. My Guru (In India, we address our teacher as Guru) told us that Kuchipudi is among the eight classical dances of India. She also told us that there a village called Kuchipudi in Divi Taluka of Krishna district of Andhra Pradesh from where both the name and this dance form has been taken.


It has been thirteen years and I am still associated with this form of dance of Andhra Pradesh. Some say, it is sheer madness to being associated with a dance form for so long, but, being a student of performing arts, I realised that there is no end to learning. You can never learn any discipline of art as well as literature and sciences completely in your whole life, but can only enhance the knowledge and skill of a particular literary and art form. The classical way of dance form holds a special place in my life. Similarly I find a special connection with Andhra Pradesh - ‘The Rice Bowl of India’.


Although, it is just another south Indian state flourishing almost similar kind of rituals and traditions, but still there are a few things which draws a line of difference. Hyderabad is the capital city of AP and Telegu is the local as well as the official language of AP.


Hyderabad is a perfect blend of culture and modernity. This city is among the ‘10 Best Indian Cities to Live In’.


Telugu is exceptionally a rich language in which many poems and compositions have been written. The soil of Andhra Pradesh has produced internationally renowned classical musicians like Annamacharya and Thyagaraja. 


It would be equally justified to say that it really possesses and comprehends the title - “The Essence of Incredible India”.


2 comments:

  1. I must say you really chooses apt images for your blog. These images really define your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, how to dance but it is always a treat for eyes, to watch classical dances of India...what amazing costumes these dancers wear while dancing.. i m completely mesmerized ^_^

    ReplyDelete