Tuesday 8 April 2014

Apparate to a different time through a joy ride inside Rail Museum

Museums are the best source to get hold of the era long gone by. It gives you a feeling of nostalgia when you step inside one. Being an avid lover of history and pushing myself to know the facts about the old times, I decided to spend my Sunday inside the National Rail Museum in Chanakyapuri in Delhi. It is one such unique museum which takes one to the time when steam engines were the source of transportation in India. This museum boasts of housing over 100 rails of Indian Railways.

When I started to pave my way inside the National Rail Museum, my eyes gauged on the magnificently built rails that dated back to more than 100 years before. One such kind of rail that asked for my time to be spent on was the Prince of Wales Saloon which was built in 1875. It is said that this was built to accommodate the visit of Prince of Wales for his visit to India. More such trains were built which were specific to Rajas-Maharajas of princely India, some are the Saloon of Maharaja of Indore and the Saloon of Maharaja of Mysore. Such saloon trains should be seen personally to get first hand information on the craftsmanship that went into the making of it. I was stuck to the old photographs displayed inside the museum panel showcasing different rails. 


Before planning my trip to the National Rail Museum in Delhi, I did some research on what attraction should not be missed here. So, one thing that topped my list was the 1885 built Fairy Queen. This is touted as one of the oldest and the best preserved piece of engines, and it is true!! Also, when I ended my voyage with a joy ride in one of the rails which apparated me to the times and lives of people of princely India.
I came back with cherishing memories of my time spent well at the museum. Since I had rest of my day in hand, I decided to rail my way to another museum in Delhi – modern museum - Metro Museum. It was interesting to know that this museum is the first modern Metro Museum in South Asia. At Patel Chowk metro station on the blue line, this museum is located.


This modern museum took me to the current era of technological innovations that went into the making of Delhi Metro. I was stunned to find so much information about Delhi Metro like the genesis of Delhi Metro, rough blue prints and sketches, technology selections, construction front of metro, how it marveled its way to success in Delhi and many more. Though I had limited time as the museum shuts down at 4 pm. I had to skip and rush my way inside the museum. Before leaving the museum, I promised myself to come back and spend a day in knowing the history, present and future of my Delhi Metro which has become an inseparable part of my commutation.


My Sunday was well spent in the Museums in Delhi focused on Rail transportation. My journey from steam engine-rid rails to electric locomotives – Metro was memorable.


No comments:

Post a Comment