Thursday 26 December 2013

Festival means a break from office with lots of Chocolates, parties, family reunions & fun...

If you are an Indian, only then you would be able to understand what festivals means in India. It’s just not about family gathering and exchanging gifts, it’s more than that. I always find a blend of spirituality in the air during the festival season. Let me share my part of story or special connection with one of such Indian Festival. 

I was born on 2nd September 1991. No...No...You are taking it all wrong; I am not expecting any gifts from you on my next birthday. It just that I always feel proud whenever I tell people that I share my birthday with Lord Krishna, one of the Hindu deities.  No...No... Arrey  not again, by saying this I am not at all saying that I should be treated like God rather I am sharing the story of my special connection with Janmashtami- an Indian Festival to celebrate the birth of Lord Krishna.

So, I am back with the story of my Birthday, it was Janmashtami and it is another sheer coincidence that my house is just opposite to Lakshmi Narayan Mandir (popularly known as Birla Mandir in Delhi). Till today my mom narrates every single thing which happened on the day of my birth. How streets were badly jammed with devotees, while my father was trying to reach hospital as my mother was in labour pain...how devotees on the street were chanting out the name of lord Krishna so loudly that it was audible in the hospital’s room during my birth and that’s how I got my name Radhika, another name of Goddess Radha who also is Lord Krishna’s consort.
Festival in India


I often ask my friends which Indian Festival they like the most and every time I came across a new story about another Indian Festival. One of my good friend says that she likes Diwali (or Deepawali– the festival of lights) the most liked among all Indian Festival because of the bright and beautiful lights used in decoration especially during this festival. Another thing which she like about Diwali is ‘decorated markets’.

Another friend of mine who belongs to a south Indian family says that she likes Onam - Festival of crop harvesting in Kerala. She likes the special ‘rangoli’ known as ‘pookalam’ in Malayalam and is made using flowers only on this festival.

One of my school buddies likes Holi- The festival of colours. According to them, there is nothing beautiful than celebrating with colours.

Whatever the reason of their liking, the truth is all Indian Festival holds some special place in the heart of every Indian.

2 comments:

  1. Even I love festival season which starts from august (Raksha bandhan) till Deepawali (in Oct/ Nov) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What so good about festivals? Just waste of time and money!!!

    ReplyDelete